Posted: May 24, 2016
Organization: Columbus Chamber of Commerce
Job Title: Vice President, Government Relations
Organization Description: The Columbus Chamber is a growing 1,300-member business organization that supports businesses in the eight-county Columbus Region. We are the voice of Central Ohio businesses. The Vice President, Government Relations serves as the chief advocate of the Columbus Chamber and its members at the local, state and federal levels of government and serves as a member of the Chamber executive staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Represent the Columbus Chamber and its members at the local, state and federal levels of government.
• Lead, supervise and manage the budget of the Chamber’s Government Relations team (Manager, Government Relations and an intern)
• In concert with local partners such as Columbus 2020, The Columbus Partnership and MORPC, proactively develop legislative policy and positions to support a sustainable and productive business environment for central Ohio.
• Inform members of government issues that are important to the business community.
• Support the Chamber’s Government Affairs Steering Committee. Provide analysis of ballot issues affecting businesses to committee.
• Solicit input from Chamber members to identify important public policy issues and initiatives.
• Serve as a spokesperson for the Columbus Chamber on public policy issues.
• Develop, plan and program events that allow members to interact frequently with public policy leaders, including the annual Government Day.
• Inform government officials of Columbus Chamber member views and our Public Policy Agenda.
• Counsel Chamber team on public policy issues that affect business.
• Ability to understand, analyze and communicate complex subjects/legislation and government processes
• Demonstrated ability to build interpersonal/business relationships
• Ability to think strategically
• Supervisory experience
• Knowledge of governmental processes at the local and state level
• Understanding of public policy issues important to the business community
• Strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills; able to build positive relationships in the community, and motivate volunteers and public sector partners
• Experience in budget development and execution
• City, County, State and Federal relationships with policymakers helpful
• Five or more years experience in public policy, government relations or related field
• B.S. or Master's degree
• Lobbyist Registration, City of Columbus and State of Ohio
• A valid driver’s license
• Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint and general computer proficiency
Application Process: The deadline to apply for this position is Thursday, June 2nd at 12:00 p.m.
• Submit a resume and cover letter by June 2, 2016 at 12:00 p.m. via http://columbus.org/about/careers/
• In the cover letter please share your available start date
Please note that if selected to move forward in the search process, applicants should hold the dates of Friday, June 24, all day and Wednesday, July 6 from 8 a.m.-noon for interviews.
Posted: May 13, 2016
Organization: American Municipal Power, Inc.
Job Title: Staff Writer
Job Description: The Staff Writer assists with publications content creation, planning, printing and distribution for AMP and its members.
Reports to the Director of Media Relations and Communications.
--Serves as the lead writer for AMP publications. Publications include (but are not limited to): annual reports, quarterly magazine, weekly newsletter, end-use consumer publication, member directory, calendar, employee newsletter, legislative updates, online content and social media.
--Assists with all phases of AMP publications, including photography, layout, printing and distribution.
--Assists Director of Media Relations and Communications with coordinating freelance writers, photographers and designers, as well as print vendors.
--Responsible for workload management to ensure that AMP publications adhere to established deadlines and budgets. This includes keeping/tracking project timelines and ensuring via follow-up that all deadlines for publications are met and tasks are completed.
--Provides project support to other areas of the department and organization with respect to publications, printed materials and website content.
Desired Skills and Experience
--A four-year degree in journalism, communications or a related field is required.
--Must have excellent writing skills, with proven experience in producing news and feature articles on technical topics for a variety of audiences. Additional experience in web, marketing or multimedia writing a plus.
--Ability to think creatively and interpret/articulate complex information.
--Adaptable, dependable, responsible and able to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
--Ability to work in a team environment and collaborate with others, but also able to work independently and stay on task.
--Superb organizational skills with great attention to detail.
--Must have excellent communications skills, with the ability to work with staff at all levels and across multiple functional areas.
Deadline to apply is May 24, 2016.
View full job description on the Careers page of the AMP website at www.amppartners.org.
Posted: May 9, 2016
Organization: Ohio Municipal League
Job Title: Legislative Advocate
Job Summary: The Ohio Municipal League is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of Legislative Advocate for the statewide association, representing the interests of over 750 Ohio cities and villages.
The position available is an entry-level opportunity for candidates who possess a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in political science, communications or other related fields; has at least three (3) years of experience working with legislators and the Ohio General Assembly; has a strong working knowledge of how local governments operate and are funded including taxation issues; possess strong writing skills; and is comfortable communicating detailed information to local and state elected officials.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
• lobbying state legislators on issues important to municipal officials;
• staffing legislative committee hearings;
• speaking to state and local groups through presentations;
• organizing member activities;
• responding to member requests and issues;
• updating and monitoring legislative activity;
• working with the league’s cooperating associations;
• developing and complimenting advocacy strategies and techniques;
• responsibilities assigned by the Executive Director
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: Zoe Wade, Office Manager, Ohio Municipal League, 175 S. Third Street, #510, Columbus, Ohio 43215 or via email at email@example.com. Submissions should be received by June 10th.
Posted: May 9, 2016
Organization: Sportsmen's Alliance
Job Title: Vice President of Government Affairs
Job Summary: The Sportsmen’s Alliance is seeking a Vice President of Government Affairs to lead the organization’s policy efforts. This person should have a demonstrated track record of performance in public policy, lobbying, legal strategy, grassroots advocacy and campaign management. The VP of Government Affairs is responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing legislative and legal strategies/campaigns to advance the mission of the Sportsmen’s Alliance and Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation. A successful candidate should be a forward-looking individual, who is able to lead the organization’s strategic policy objectives. In addition, qualified candidates must also possess a strong work ethics, experienced management abilities and dynamic written and verbal communications abilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Directs the operations of three Government Affairs divisions (Federal Affairs, Litigation, and
• Designs and manages the organization’s federal, state, and legal policy agendas.
• Manages major issue campaigns within the three departments.
• Develops and articulates the issue positions of the organization under the guidance of the
President and CEO.
• Assists with fundraising operations in support of issues and project work.
• Develops and manages partnerships with strategic funding partners, volunteer sources, and
state wildlife agencies to implement the organization’s policy agenda.
• Helps develop messages promoting the organization to sportsmen and women, the media and
Additional Details: http://www.gongwer-oh.com/public/130/sagr.pdf
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and references to: Evan Heusinkveld, Sportsmen’s Alliance, 801 Kingsmill Pkwy, Columbus, Ohio 43229 or via email at
firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions should be received by June 3rd.
Posted: May 4, 2016
Organization: Joint Education Oversight Committee
Position: Executive Director
Job Description: The Executive Director of the Joint Education Oversight Committee (JEOC) reports to the Chairperson of JEOC and will assist all members of the Committee. Under the direction of the JEOC Chairperson, the Executive Director will organize, plan, manage, and oversee the research, analysis, reporting, contracting, and other work related to the duties and mission of JEOC.
Additional Details: www.gongwer-oh.com/public/130/jeoced.pdf
Subscribers may post Statehouse-related job openings on this site at no cost. To post a position, send details to email@example.com or call 614.221.1992. Non-subscribers can contact Gongwer to learn about job posting rates.